We are a group of breeders that came to realize, the future of our breed was truly in our own hands, no one person could assure the future of the Malagasy Coton de Tulear. Preservation of a breed is a group effort.
Proper genetic management, requires breeders to educate themselves on the basics of population genetics and seek advice from those experts current in the field of DNA research. Without sustainable breeding practices, the risk of genetic disorders increases, especially in a rare breed with an already small gene pool, as in the case of our Malagasy Coton de Tulear.
Our breeders will move forward in preservation efforts by using new advances in technology as they develop.
All of our breeding Malagasy Coton de Tulear will have completed DNA genotyping by Embark Veterinary, Inc. a research partner with Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. Our breeders are also participating in the Genetic Diversity program at the Institute of Canine Biology and all our breeding dogs and litters will receive the ICB Genetic Diversity Certification.
– Carol Beuchat, PhD, Scientific Director, Institute of Canine Biology
We chose to create The Malagasy Coton de Tulear Preservation Club (MCPC) to be a non-profit organization with a board of directors, ensuring that our breed club will remain alive and well, for future generations.
Our breeders are committed to our puppy families. All registered owners will receive official pedigree certificates
from the Malagasy Coton Preservation Club within 90 days of the breeder submitting their litter registrations.
Our breeders are dedicated to the continued good health and well being of the Malagasy Coton de Tulear. Our club will collectively mentor all new breeders in genetics, DNA analysis, whelping and rearing confident, enrichment seeking puppies.
- To promote our passion and quest for the preservation of the Malagasy Coton de Tulear with breeders in the United States that share lineage from Madagascar.
- Maintain a breed registry and health database for our breeder members.
- Increase awareness, among breeders and owners of Malagasy Cotons, on how a small gene pool needs to grow in population size for future generations and how new technology in DNA analysis can help us make better breeding decisions.
- Provide a current and updated website presence for our breeder members, helping prospective families find a Malagasy Coton de Tulear Preservation Breeder.
- To provide ongoing support and social gathering for our members, both breeders and pet owners.